Saturday, April 24, 2010

Exploring Paradise

Today has been the lazy, relaxing day I had envisioned when I received my win notice from Honey Bunches of Oats. I blogged in a beach hut while Neal kayaked around the ocean. We went in for lunch and now I am poolside while Neal is enjoying the pool.
I want to tell about the remarkable detail they have gone to when building this resort. It is amazing. There are little walkways all over the property, all leading to the beach. As you wind around you get to enjoy the little touches that make this experience so unforgettable. On the side of one of the paths is a small pond for the beautiful pink flamingos. These are especially beautiful at night. They have the pond lit and the color of the birds really stands out. Several brilliant peacocks stroll the grounds and we are awakened by them every morning, like unto a rooster. As we were coming in from the beach today, they had set up a fruit stand along the path and there was a girl working magic with the local fruit. Neal and I each walked away with mango's and pineapples on a stick in the shape of an island flower. It was as much fun as a Mickey Mouse ice cream bar at Disneyland, but it was free instead of $7.00 and probably better for you. As we explored another time, we encountered a man with monkeys interacting with the guests. The sounds of exotic birds are heard all day long. I never really see them, and they may be just some ordinary crows or something, but I picture, in my minds eye, bright parrots or Macaws when I hear their song. It smells terrific everywhere you go. I keep thinking it is the smell of gardenias, but I'm not sure. But the pathways are bright with pink, orange and purple blossoms. There are plants here I've purchased from hot house nurseries only to kill them when they got home. But here they are ten feet tall and growing.

They also have special areas of the resort just for children and one for teens. The teenage one is especially cool, with a mechanical bull, billiards, batting cages, and all sorts of sports games. There is a snack bar offering endless pizza and popcorn. These areas are tucked away so well that you have to have a need, or the curiosity to look for them, to know they are even there. So people, or family members could have completely different vacations while still being in the same resort.

Now I want to talk about skin. Everyone has great skin in paradise. I'm not kidding. I don't know if it is the humidity or the glow of perspiration, but everyone's skin has a glow to it that makes us all look like a Johnson & Johnson baby oil commercial. Even pasty white skin like mine looks good, and that is saying a lot. But, the darker the skin shade, the more beautiful the glow. The same goes with about anything here. I noticed on the beach a young man standing next to me. The white sand on his dark skin looked like powdered diamonds glistening off his feet. I thought it might have been the sand itself until I looked down at the sand on me. Unfortunately, all that looked like was a woman with dirty feet...

Neal and I enjoy vacations differently I think. I enjoy everything I see and learn along the way. Neal enjoys everything there is to do. I think he wishes a little that he were here with one of the kids instead of me, they are more "doers" but I think he is having fun.

Today when we returned from lunch to our room there were "goody bags" waiting for us. They were very nice canvas totes with the Honey Bunches of Oats logo on them. Inside was a boogie board, a beach ball, and mine had a box of cereal and Neal's had a little cereal travel cup. It was such a fun surprise and another little unexpected "extra mile" touch that has made this trip so unforgettable.


I am very excited about the cocktail party today hosted by Honey Bunches of Oats. It will be fun to be around everyone else who is sharing this once in a lifetime moment. I know that we have all had different experiences depending on what we have done, eaten and seen. However, it is nice that they are getting us all together for another common event because this is such an unbelievable opportunity and I want to feel a part of the people that shared it with me in some small way, even if we never encountered each other along the way.

Tomorrow our adventure is at it's end. We have plans tonight so I won't be able to finish this blog until we return home. I plan to spend the rest of today memorizing ever sight and sound that brought me so much joy along the way in this Party in Paradise!

No comments:

Post a Comment